Seeking a medical doctor who is licensed and resides in Louisiana who can drive programs within the Center for Excellence for a Fortune 500 managed care Company.
Behavioral Health Medical Director - Louisiana – 100% remote
- Provides clinical leadership to the interdisciplinary Medical Management team, which includes clinical/medical oversight of clinical team members and consultation and training with care managers in order to address cost and quality of care. Provides day to day physician oversight to an assigned interdisciplinary UM team, including regular involvement in the case management of at-risk cases and medical necessity decisions. Follows high risk cases throughout treatment continuum from inpatient, rehabilitation, partial hospitalization, outpatient and other levels of care. Ensures that persons with severe, complex, and/or treatment resistant illnesses receive medically necessary coordinated care throughout the episode of treatment. Continues physician oversight of at-risk patients deemed appropriate for complex case management and timely completion of all utilization management activities. Involvement in the development of case management plans.
- Develops and implements a Utilization Management program and action plan, which includes strategies that ensure a high quality of patient care, ensuring that patients receive the most appropriate care at the most cost-effective setting. Evaluates the effectiveness of UM practices and criteria. Actively monitors for over- and under-utilization. Assumes a leadership position relative to knowledge, implementation, training and supervision of the use of the medical necessity criteria.
- Along with the Corporate Clinical team, implements clinical practice standards and policies developed by Magellan corporate and participates in management of activities. Develops, implements and interprets medical policy, technology assessments, and medical necessity guidelines.
- Develops effective working relationships with practitioners, provider facilities, treatment programs, and may establish relationships and/or consult with client organizations. Confers directly with psychiatrists and other practitioners regarding the care of patients with severe, complex, and/or treatment resistant illnesses through peer review and educational interventions. Identifies and immediately follows up any quality of care concerns with practitioners and provider facilities and treatment programs involved in the member’s care. Ensures that contract requirements, accreditation standards (e.g. NCQA), state policies and federal policies are implemented specific to each Magellan client. Works with teams on continuous quality improvement to ensure ongoing compliance in utilization and case management.
- Participates in and maintains the integrity of the appeals process, both internally and externally. Responsible for the investigation of adverse incidents and quality of care concerns. Participates in preparation for NCQA and URAC certifications. Develops and provides leadership for NCQA-compliant clinical quality improvement activity (QIA) in collaboration with the clinical lead senior medical director, and quality improvement staff. May participate in various committees or project teams as directed by the senior medical director or vice-president.
M.D. or D.O.
Board certification approved by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology required.
Board certification in Child Psychiatry required
Must be licensed in the State of Louisiana
Medicaid experience a plus
Must possess an active unrestricted medical license to practice medicine or a health profession.
Previous experience in chart reviews, peer reviews and/or utilization reviews required
Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, problem-solving skills, facilitation skills, and analytical skills.